Do you own property that was recently flooded? If so, you should take action now to prevent dangerous mold from becoming a problem in your facility.
Mold can cause a number of serious health problems, even for people who are relatively healthy.
Exposure to mold leads to uncomfortable symptoms including coughing, wheezing, nasal stuffiness, a sore or itchy throat, and sometimes nosebleeds.
Mold can be life-threatening for people who suffer from breathing problems caused by allergies or asthma.
Keep reading to learn how to prevent mold after a flood, before it has a chance to take over your facility.
Water damage creates a perfect environment for mold. After a flood, mold growth will start within 24 to 48 hours of water exposure. You must act quickly to minimize any problems mold might cause.
Here’s what you need to do to save your facility from the harmful effects of mold.
First, you need to pump, scoop, or soak up any standing water in the space. If you have a lot of standing water in your facility, hiring help is a good idea.
Speed up evaporation by using fans to circulate air into the space. The sooner you can dry it out the better.
Professionals are trained to be wary of fuse boxes and other electrical elements that could be submerged under the water. If you are unsure, always let a professional take over.
As disheartening as it can be, you must remove and dispose of all contaminated items from the space as soon as possible.
If an item will not dry out completely, it needs to be thrown away.
This includes porous materials such as papers, furniture, some drywall, carpeting, and insulation.
Make sure to clean and disinfect items that you managed to salvage.
In order to do this safely, you should wear pants, long sleeves, boots, and rubber gloves. Googles and nose plugs are also a good idea. Mold is easily transferred from one surface to another.
Use soap or another disinfectant to combat germs and open up windows to remove fumes from the space you are working in.
While still wearing your protective equipment, remove any mud and dust from the floor and walls of your facility with soap or bleach.
Avoid dry sweeping, as that kicks dust and germs into the air. It is best to mist down any dusty areas and then wipe them clean.
Even after completing the steps above, there’s a good chance mold might start growing soon.
You won’t always see mold forming. Standing flood water around your establishment can seep into the ground and affect your foundation. In this case, you would notice the smell and feel the health effects before ever seeing mold.
It’s important to stay alert and watch for signs of mold, even after cleaning up. For peace of mind, an expert can inspect and mold test your home for you.
It’s hard to act quickly after a tragic event, but the faster you act, the less chance mold has to overcome your space.
Mold growth is a serious issue, and it is imperative that you know how to prevent mold after a flood. Concerned? You should hire a professional to help.
For no cost, we will visit your facility to assess the scope of damage and create a plan of action to handle it. Contact us to discuss your options today.